I tried couscous for the first time when I was in the fifth grade. I didn’t eat it again until tonight. Obviously I was scarred for life (or, like, 15 years) after trying it originally. I can’t remember how it was prepared or seasoned but it tasted exactly like airplane food. I finally decided to give it another try and I’m so glad I did. This dish tasted nothing like airplane food. Even better, it is absolutely packed with protein and so quick to make.
- 3/4 cup couscous, dry
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned seitan (I used Upton’s Naturals Italian Seitan)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (in oil)
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 of a lemon, juiced
- Dash of salt and pepper
1. Prepare the couscous and the seitan according to the respective packages.
2. Heat the garlic and oil in a medium saucepan until fragrant. Add the pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes, and a little of the flavorful oil from the jar (roughly 1 Tbsp or to taste). Cook on low heat until the sun dried tomatoes are cooked through and the pine nuts are lightly toasted.
3. Mix the couscous and seitan in with the garlic and sun dried tomatoes. Top with fresh roma tomato, lemon, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve. May also be served chilled.
Yields: two servings