I have two excuses to avoid running these days. 1. It’s officially really cold out and 2. it’s getting late much too early. It’s not that I don’t want to work out. I am dying to go for a run every day after work, which says something. However, I can’t get myself to run in the cold, dark night. Or on a treadmill. Therefore, I have to eat less. When salads get boring, I turn to wraps. I saw a tofu veggie wrap on the menu at a local deli in town and decided I had to make one at home. It turned out better than I could have imagined, primarily because of the fabulously sweet roasted corn. Yum!
- 1 whole wheat wrap
- 2 Tbsp garlic hummus
- 1/2 cup lettuce
- 1/4 cup sprouts
- 1/2 avocado, sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 block of extra firm tofu (4-5 oz) cut into small, bite-sized squares
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tsp seasoning mix
- 1/8 tsp salt
1. Spread hummus on wrap. Add lettuce, sprouts, and avocado.
2. Heat oil over medium heat in skillet. Add red onion and frozen corn. Cook until onion is translucent (5-7 minutes) and corn has thawed.
3. Add tofu to skillet and stir often. Cook until tofu is golden brown. Sprinkle with seasoning and salt.
4. Add the tofu and corn mixture to the wrap. Wrap up tightly and enjoy immediately.