As promised, here is a delicious gluten-free & vegan dish. There are very few resources for vegan and gluten-free dishes. Like… very few. I was overwhelmed when I started collecting vegan cookbooks at just how many there are. I suddenly realized I’m not the only one interested in vegan food. Now, I throw in the gluten-free twist only to find three cookbooks for gluten-free vegans on Amazon. Hopefully they are the three best cookbooks ever.
I love avocado and I love pasta. Gluten-free pastas like the ones made out of quinoa aren’t bad, but they are expensive when compared to wheat pastas. I’ve also always thought to myself… if I’m going to stop eating something, I don’t want to simply replace it with fake versions of the real thing. Exhibit A: Daiya cheese. Exbibit B: Coconut milk ice cream. And exhibit C: Quinoa pasta.
So here enters spaghetti squash. Pasta that is made out of a vegetable? Clearly this has to be my best friend. Mix in a little avocado and fresh corn and I am content. I’ve kept this 100% simple but it could so easily include roasted pine nuts, lemon juice, cilantro, or any other ingredient that sounds good!
- 1 medium-sized spaghetti squash
- 1 avocado
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- kernels from 1 ear of boiled corn on the cob
- red pepper flakes, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and place in a lightly greased roasting pan, cut sides facing down. Bake for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, remove the peel and seed from the avocado. Slice the avocado up into smaller pieces and place into a food processor with 1/8 cup of water. Add salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
4. Prepare one ear of corn by boiling it in water for 4-5 minutes. Once cooked, slice the kernels off the cob and set aside.
5. Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven when it is ready. Remove the seeds from the inside and discard. Use a fork to comb the remaining insides out.
6. Combine the spaghetti squash, avocado mixture, corn kernels, and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Serve immediately.
Yields: 3 servings