These simple cupcakes turned out so well that I had to share this recipe. I had never tried baked goods using coconut oil before so I was curious to see how these turned out. I almost always use Ener-g Egg replacer or apple sauce in place of eggs so I wasn’t sure if these would work well without either of those ingredients in place. These actually ended up much better than anything I’ve made with Ener-g Egg replacer and about as good as anything I’ve made with apple sauce in place of eggs. I’m excited to make cake out of this recipe soon so I will post again when I’ve seen how this works as vanilla cake!
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed until liquid
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
2. Combine the apple cider vinegar and almond milk. Allow to sit until curdled, roughly 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. In a separate and smaller bowl, combine almond milk mixture with the coconut oil and the vanilla extract.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the larger bowl containing the dry ingredients. Mix together all ingredients thoroughly.
6. Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake liners.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes and allow to cool on wire rack. Once cooled, top each cupcake with vegan frosting.
Yields: 18 cupcakes