I’ve been baking my way through Isa Chandra’s cookbook Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. It didn’t take long to find a new favorite cookie. This isn’t just my new favorite vegan cookie. It’s my new favorite cookie period. It’s like a Reese’s Cup cookie. The peanut butter and chocolate combination is truly my favorite in baking. I love how these look like unsuspecting chocolate cookies until you bite in and find the delicious peanut-buttery-ness.
I totally thought these would turn out ugly. It looks complicated and messy to assemble them. I was surprised that it’s actually super easy. You are basically just wrapping a ball of peanut butter in a chocolate cookie dough. Easy enough. Make these now. You won’t be disappointed!
Chocolate dough ingredients:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus two Tbsps cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Peanut butter filling ingredients:
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter, either crunchy or creamy
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsps non-dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Combine oil, sugar, maple syrup, non-dairy milk and vanilla in a large bowl.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into bowl. Mix together all ingredients to form the cookie dough.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients for peanut butter filling. Add up to extra tablespoon of non-dairy milk if the mixture seems too dry. If dough is too wet, add small amounts of extra powdered sugar until it is the proper consistency.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Roll all of the peanut butter dough into 24 small balls roughly equal-sized. Wrap each of the balls in about a tablespoon of chocolate dough by flattening the chocolate dough and folding the sides of it around the peanut butter mixture. Repeat with remaining dough and place all cookie bites on the baking sheets.
6. Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Yields: 2 dozen cookie bites
Source: The PPK